Secondary Utility Locates
Maverick covers the entire spectrum of secondary utility locates from facility-wide industrial site subsurface mapping, to pipeline right-of-way locates, environmental borehole sweeps, commercial construction, and residential applications.
From Edmonton, Alberta, Maverick Inspection Ltd. brings more than two decades of specialized inspection services to the utility locating industry. We go beyond traditional locating with expertise in industrial remote camera inspections for above and underground systems, subsurface investigations using technologies such as Ground-penetrating Radar (GPR), infrared thermography, conductivity, acoustics, and other methods.
We have the safety, compliance, quality, hazard training, and other pre-qualifications to work on all types of sites in Western Canada. We offer a range of reporting and mapping options including CAD and GIS rendering based on accurate Real Time Kinematics and Robotic Total Station positioning. Regardless of the utility locating budget or job scope, all work performed by Maverick adheres to our core principles of Safety, Diligence & Innovation.
WHAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT MAVERICK’S UTILITY LOCATES?
Maverick offers a combination of technologies, methods, and reporting options beyond basic utility locating for simple applications. Although we do traditional utility locates, we are not afraid to tackle the tough jobs.
There are scenarios where non-conductive lines are not traceable with traditional utility locating methods, and the only indication may be a radar signature of the trench originally made when the utility was installed.
Sometimes a utility locate is not the primary focus of a job scope, but is performed as part of a subsurface investigation when a fire-water line has been leaking or voiding has formed around a drainage line. It is not unusual for a client to need private utilities mapped out where there are no surface indications, no tracer wires available to clip onto, and no records to reference.
By combining GPR with EM detection, pipe cameras, crawlers, and other technologies, Maverick Inspection Ltd. is capable of performing the following:
- Targeted private utility locates – for lines you can see extending into the ground from the surface. This could include Natural Gas, Power, Telephone, Process or Control lines
- Blind Sweeps with E.M. detection systems – used for locating known metallic lines, or lines with tracers which are not accessible from your location. This type of work is also done surrounding borehole locations or other ground disturbances to injuries or damages caused by contacting unknown utilities
- Specifically targeted power signature sweeps at 60Hz, and Cathodic protection (CPS) frequencies, to further reduce the risk of striking underground power and process lines
PLEASE NOTE: Maverick does not perform or replace Alberta One Call services, and where applicable it is still necessary to contact this free service first for the location of relevant utilities and the notification of utility owners prior to a ground disturbance.
HOW DOES MAVERICK COMPLEMENT ALBERTA ONE CALL?
- Maverick will look for private utilities such as electrical and gas lines that belong to the property owner
- We have a range of inspection technology and methods to use for locating subsurface features
- The data collected can form part of a larger study of subsurface conditions, depending on client requirements
- While on site, Maverick typically confirms the AB One Call results to maximize diligence and safety
Utility locates often go beyond mapping out structures. Maverick can combine utility locating services, with that of our remote video inspection department. By placing intrinsically safe, or CSA Rated Explosion-Proof camera systems into a line, we can visually inspect the interior condition of the line in question, including damages or failure, and use the pipe camera as a locate point, pinpointing both the line, and the point of failure.
Maverick Inspection Ltd. is a member of the Alberta Common Ground Alliance and the Canadian Association of Pipeline and Utility Locating Contractors.