Concrete Scans: Experience Counts
EDMONTON’S GPR CONCRETE SCANNING PROFESSIONALS
Maverick’s Ground-penetrating Radar (GPR) concrete scans are the first choice for Edmonton’s building owners, building managers, and commercial contractors. We are the leader in GPR concrete scanning and imaging in Western Canada. Our quality program means Maverick’s team of technical experts provide clients with accurate and detailed information about buried features within and below concrete.
HERE’S WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE MAVERICK
- Maverick has been scanning concrete floors, walls, ceiling, columns, beams, footings, roofs, and other structures with radar since 2001. We have the depth and experience for ALL job scopes.
- Maverick owns many makes, models, and frequencies of radar systems to tackle the full range of sites and conditions.
- Maverick’s technicians are trained for at least one full year in real life situations, rather than walking on to a job site with minimal instruction from a manufacturer’s sales representative.
- Building owners and managers trust Maverick to locate subsurface infrastructure prior to cutting or coring in concrete, because we have a proven record. Rebar, conduits, post-tensioned (PT) cables, pipes and other features need to be located to minimize cost, worker hazards, and structural concerns.
- Maverick makes sure that your request for work is answered immediately and that qualified personnel are dispatched as soon as possible to work with your schedule and timeline.
- Maverick will combine GPR with other utility locating technology to identify live power lines. We know of no other company that offers this level of diligence.
- Maverick often performs concrete testing in busy environments, without evacuating other personnel, and without shutting down work sites, malls, schools, hospitals, or other facilities.
- As Edmonton has developed, Maverick has worked alongside construction industry professionals, on all sites and for all industries. We have an industrial grade safety program, and the track record and culture to back it up.
- Where needed, Maverick combines technologies and disciplines, beyond concrete floor scans.
SOME OF THE CONCRETE IMAGING SERVICES MAVERICK PROVIDES
- slab thickness estimates, both for suspended slabs and slab-on-grade
- rebar pattern identification and locating services
- detection of post-tension cables
- locating metallic and non-metallic pipes and conduits
- detecting voids and concrete heterogeneity
- locating pipes and cables including those buried within/under slab-on-grade concrete pads
- providing quantitative data on rebar spacing and depth of coverage for engineering applications
ADDITIONAL CONCRETE SCAN INFORMATION
ADVANTAGES OF GPR/CONCRETE SCANNING
- no health hazards, no radiation (replaces x-ray)
- locates materials such as PVC, ABS, AC/Ductile and other non-metallic structures
- access required to only one side of the slab
- quick and portable
- on-site analysis and reporting
- floors, walls, ceilings, roofs, q-deck, slab on grade and more can all be scanned
- secondary utility locates also available
- 24 hour services
GPR CAN BE USED TO SCAN MANY TYPES OF CONCRETE
- pre-cast, post-tensioned slabs
- poured-in-place concrete – on grade
- poured-in-place concrete – suspended
- reinforced concrete walls
- grouted masonry walls
Ground Penetrating Radar can be used with most surface coverings including carpet, tile, wood, or exposed concrete. We are able to work on walls and ceilings as well. This means we can tackle problems in the way which is most convenient for our clients.
APPLICATIONS FOR GPR CONCRETE SCANNING INCLUDE
- Office Towers – Concrete scanning is often used to identify the location of rebar, Q-deck plates, beams, conduits, pipes and other buried infrastructure during renovations.
- Shopping Centres and Strip-Malls – Concrete scanning of often used to detect objects buried beneath slab-on-grade concrete pads during renovations and repairs.
- Hospitals – GPR Concrete Scanning can be used around patients, staff and equipment with minimal disruption to the workflow. GPR will also not destroy X-ray film.
- Schools and Universities – GPR Concrete Scanning can be used in active buildings without disrupting the students or teachers.
- Transit Centres – Maverick has deployed our Concrete Scanning GPR systems in busy transit terminals without disrupting transit service. We often locate rebar and conduits prior to the installation of new electrical or communications devices.
- Bridge Decks, Piers, Columns and Spans – As part of a maintenance cycle, or as part of Quality Assurance, Maverick Inspection Ltd. has provided information to project managers and engineers regarding the presence, spacing and placement of critical reinforcement steel members in several bridges using our GPR/Concrete Scanning systems.
- Machine Shops – Prior to moving existing equipment or adding new equipment, Maverick has been asked to provide Concrete Scanning/GPR services in order to locate existing buried electrical systems, communication lines, fire-alarms and pneumatic/hydraulic lines.
- Laboratories – Lab equipment is constantly changing and labs are constantly being updated. Maverick has often performed Concrete Scanning/GPR prior to the installation of new equipment involving the use of cores through existing block walls and concrete floors.
FACT VS. FICTION: ARE GPR CONCRETE SCANS 100% GUARANTEED?
ALL electronic, remote-sensing equipment has limitations. Anyone who works with these types of instruments from equipment manufacturers to geoscientists to qualified technicians will confirm this. Anyone who claims any different is either lying or confused. There are situations in which GPR will not be able to detect features, and there are features which will not be detectable with radar technology.
That being said, we have tracked our success rate across Alberta from Edmonton to Red Deer, Calgary, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, and other centres, and it is in excess of 98%. What we can guarantee is Maverick provides the expertise and equipment you require.
Maverick’s technicians must have at least one year of experience under the supervision of senior personnel before taking on the responsibility of concrete scanning. Maverick uses a variety of systems from different manufacturers with different frequencies, even within the range of concrete imaging, in order to provide the best options for every scenario. We have in-house capabilities for repair and calibration including an electronic technologist with over a decade of experience testing and maintaining geophysical instruments at a component level.
Maverick will review any limitations pertinent to your job scope with you and make sure you understand what your best cutting or coring options are.We can suggest technology alternatives if we know radar is not the right answer. This might be a solution that Maverick provides such as infrared thermography, or even one we do not offer such as x-ray.