From Concrete Scans to Utility Locates
Concrete Scanning Experts: We Image Footings, Floors, Roofs & More!
Most construction clients call Edmonton’s Maverick Inspection to provide a concrete scan, usually a floor scan, with one of our Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) systems. We locate and map utilities and features in and below concrete floors every day. However we also perform services ranging from radar utility locates to scanning prior to critical crane lifts.
Since 2001, we have set the standard in Western Canada, and we are the preferred scanning contractor for building managers and contractors in Edmonton. Prior to Maverick, X-ray systems were used to image concrete, however this approach is now mostly obsolete. Radiography is rarely used due to time and cost, radiation hazards, parallax errors, and limitations such as the inability to Xray slab-on-grade floors. We carry a large selection of radar frequencies, makes, and models for scanning different floor thicknesses and other site requirements.
EDMONTON’S CHOICE FOR FLOOR SCANS AND OTHER CONCRETE IMAGING
- Maverick has been scanning concrete floors, walls, ceiling, columns, beams, footings, roofs, and other structures with radar since 2001. We have the depth and experience for ALL job scopes.
- Building owners and managers trust Maverick to locate subsurface infrastructure prior to cutting or coring in concrete. Rebar, conduits, post-tensioned (PT) cables, pipes and other features need to be located to minimize cost, worker hazards, and structural concerns.
- Maverick makes sure that your request for work is answered immediately and that qualified personnel are dispatched as soon as possible to work with your schedule and timeline.
- Maverick will combine GPR with other utility locating technology to identify live power lines. We know of no other company that offers this level of diligence.
- Maverick often performs concrete testing in busy environments, without evacuating other personnel, and without shutting down work sites, malls, schools, hospitals, or other facilities.
- As Edmonton has developed, Maverick has worked alongside construction industry professionals, on all sites and for all industries. We have an industrial grade safety program, and the track record and culture to back it up.
- Where needed, Maverick combines technologies and disciplines, beyond concrete floor scans.
CAN RADAR/GPR SCAN AREAS SUCH AS THE FLOOR/WALL/CEILING ON MY SITE?
These are typical applications, but as with all technology, there are limitations. First and foremost we need clear and free access to the concrete. Radar systems work only when in direct contact with the concrete surface, or an appropriate top layer. This means there can be no steel stud tracks, false floors, insulation, puddles of water or piles of debris in the way during concrete scanning.
A typical scan of a 24” x 24” (600 mm x 600 mm) area requires about 20 minutes in addition to site access requirements. The concrete should be cured (over 28 days old) and we need to physically access the area to perform the concrete scan.
WHAT ARE SOME APPLICATIONS FOR GPR CONCRETE SCANS?
- Bridge Construction & Repair
- Retaining Wall Repair
- Concrete Silos, Pits & Tanks
- Floor Thickness Estimates
- Locating Covered Curb Cocks, Drains, Etc.
- Anchor and Duct Installation in Mechanical Rooms
- Elevator Shaft Work
- Installation of Machinery and Lifts in Machine Shops
- Renovation and Construction of Commercial Spaces
- Parkade Ramp Repairs
- Utility Locates in Yard and Parking Areas
- Critical Crane Lifts
Maverick has experience in the shopping malls, office towers and commercial buildings in Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, Fort McMurray, and beyond, as well as hospitals, schools, transit centres, parkades, and other sites and structures. Some of the special projects we have worked on have pushed the boundaries of the GPR systems with special requests such as supplying depth of rebar coverage with +/-3 mm accuracy!
Our concrete radar scanning complements Maverick’s other services, especially Utility Locating, for your convenience.
Contact Us for more information or to book construction radar scanning today.