Utility Locating Professionals
DILIGENCE MEANS THE RIGHT TOOLS, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
Maverick’s utility locating and mapping professionals are available for you. Our locators have the right training, experience, and selection of current technologies and software. Edmonton’s Maverick is the first choice for locates of both simple underground systems, and the more difficult and unusual subsurface facilities. We provide more.
Every day we provide utility locate services ranging from a single bore hole right up to entire pipeline right-of-ways or industrial compounds. We support Alberta’s directional drilling companies, pipeline operators, environmental engineers, utility companies, construction companies, home owners, and anyone else planning a ground disturbance.
Know your responsibilities
Utility locates are not optional. Fortunately, construction culture now includes awareness of the serious injuries, death, and financial losses that can result from taking unnecessary risks, and it is generally accepted that ALL underground utilities and facilities MUST be located prior to a ground disturbance.
Utility locate services are required whether you are building a deck, installing new/repairing existing subsurface utilities, drilling environmental boreholes, or performing any excavation.
Contact Alberta One-Call and Maverick
The first step is to call Alberta One-Call at 1-800-242-3447 or Click Before You Dig to locate member utilities on public property.
Your second call is Maverick’s Edmonton Office at 780-467-1606 to locate utilities and systems outside Alberta One-Call’s mandate. One-Call’s free, mandatory service notifies member utilities of the project and provides you clearances for your work, however they do not locate and mark out all underground utilities.
Significant hazards such as private electrical lines, gas lines, underground storage tanks and other dangerous or costly facilities must also be located. Maverick locates the additional subsurface hazards with an arsenal of remote sensing technology and can also confirm One-Call’s markings for an extra level of diligence.
Maverick Inspection Ltd. is a member of the Alberta Common Ground Alliance (ABCGA)and the Canadian Association of Pipeline and Utility Locating Contractors (CAPULC).
Expect your utility locating contractors to provide more
Modern utility locating goes beyond clipping onto known utilities. There are many different technology options available, and each has its own ideal applications, methods, required experience and training, and limitations. Ask if your service provider performs blind sweeps. Ask about their procedures. Ask for drawings.
These days, locating underground utilities also involves database research, the ability to access remote sites and facilities with stringent access pre-qualifications, as well as being able to produce reports and drawings ranging from field markings and sketches to GIS maps with positional accuracy.
CONTACT ALBERTA’S UTILITY LOCATING PROFESSIONALS
Edmonton’s Maverick Inspection Ltd. has the tools, experience, and diligence to locate utilities for Alberta’s industrial, commercial, environmental, and residential sectors.
Depending on the job scope, budget, and other requirements, there are a range of technology and reporting options available.
Typical utility locating jobs performed by Maverick include:
- Locates for Environmental Phase I & II boreholes
- Ground-disturbance permits for major oil & gas facilities
- Ground-breaking Greenfield construction
- Pre-construction planning and development
- Installation of new facilities into existing sites
- Pipeline route selections
- Pipeline road crossing void mapping
- Underground storage tank locates
- Locates for trouble-shooting and repairs of damaged utilities
- Private utility locates for small business and home owners
- Concrete scanning for hazards prior to cutting or coring
- Facility-wide subsurface locating and mapping
- Incident investigation support
Ask for locating with a wide range of technologies and methods
Maverick combines traditional electromagnetic utility detection (EM) with technology such as ground-penetrating radar (GPR), acoustics, infrared, and remote video camera inspection (RVI or CCTV inspection).
The deployment platforms, data gathering methods, analysis, reporting, and all other aspects are specifically tailored to the individual job scope. Some of these options include:
- Targeted private utility locates for known lines visibly extending into the ground from the surface. This could include natural gas, power, telephone, process or control lines.
- EM blind sweeps for locating known metallic lines, or lines with tracers which are not accessible from your location. This type of work is also done surrounding borehole locations or other ground disturbances to avoid contacting underground utilities.
- Specifically targeted sweeps at 60Hz, and cathodic protection (CPS) frequencies, to further reduce the risk of striking underground power and process lines.
- Inserting CSA rated explosion-proof camera systems for tracking and inspecting buried drainage, utility, or process piping.